This super-easy, no-yeast bread is delicious. Serve with a thick chunk of your favourite cheese and good dollop of my Scorched Onion Sauce. A great addition to your ploughman’s lunch, soups or just tear it apart and share for snacking.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
NOTE: the chillies are optional – you can even include bacon bits or chopped fried shallots too!
375g plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 TBS baking powder
2 TBS sugar
115g cream cheese, room temp.
250g grated mature cheddar
2 jalapenos, chopped
350ml whole milk
1 TBS melted butter
- pre-heat oven (180C) and grease a loaf pan
- mix flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix cream cheese, grated cheddar and jalapenos until combined. (add bacon etc if using)
- add flour mixture to cheese mixture, add the egg, milk & melted butter. Mix until just combined.
- transfer to loaf/baking tin and bake for circa 45-50 mins.
- slide a knife around the sides and set on wire rack for 10 mins before serving.
- enjoy with friends and don’t forget the Scorched Onion sauce!